Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Thanksgiving tradition that I observe by myself...

Growing up we always had Pumpkin Squares instead of Pumpkin Pie. My mom liked them better (and I agree.) They are delicious! We were always glad for Thanksgiving and Christmas because they got made more then. I tried to introduce this dish to Mike right after we got married, but it was (and is) a no go. Mike DOES NOT like pumpkin at all, and he doesn't really like nuts (other than plain peanuts.) My kids have heard Mike make comments about them and won't try them either... but they aren't that big on nuts either. So, I still make them... and try to eat the whole 9X13 by myself. I usually make them for Ward parties or when people are coming over so I have some help. This year my mom mentioned I might want to half the recipe (duh me) and then they wouldn't go bad before I could eat them all. It worked... and was very yummy! I'll have to make the other half of the batch soon, I'm getting that craving again.

Pumpkin Squares

1 c. flour
1/2 c. oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter/margarine

Combine until crumbly and press into ungreased 9X13 pan. Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes.

1 lb. can pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Combine, beat well. Pour over crust and bake 20 minutes more.

1/2 c. chopped pecans (or walnuts if you prefer)
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 TBSP. butter/margarine

Combine together. Sprinkle over the top and bake 15-20 minutes more, until set. Cool.

No comments: