Saturday, February 25, 2006

Ice Cream in a Bag

I saw this recipe in a Family Fun magazine. I think I will try it with my Activity Days girls. It looks fun.

2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup half and half
½ tsp. vanilla
½ cup kosher or rock salt
Ice cubes (enough to fill a 1 gallon bag about ½ full)
1 pint-size ziplock bag
1 gallon-size ziplock bag

Mix-ins such as chocolate chips, sprinkles, candies, fruit, crushed oreos, etc.
Combine the sugar, cream and vanilla in the pint-size bag and seal it tightly. Place the salt and ice in the big bag, then place the smaller bag inside as well. Seal the larger bag. Now shake the bags until the mixture hardens (about 5 minutes). seal the small bag to determine when it’s done. Take the smaller bag out of the larger one, add mix-ins, and eat the ice cream right out of the bag.

2 comments:

bonny with a Y said...

I made this with my kids and with Brownies (the Girl Scout kind, not the fudge kind although that would be tasty).

My kids loved it. Be sure to use enough salt to get the milk really cold.


I'll have to try it with my A.D. girls. Great idea.

Eliza said...

Matt made some ice cream in a bag once. He had seen the recipe on BYU-TV and sort of estimated from memory, but it turned out great--some milk, sugar, peppermint oil, crushed candy canes in the little bag; ice and salt in the outside bag. Shook for a few minutes, then he snipped part of the corner and squeezed it out into a bowl like soft serve. A yummy Christmas treat! It melted quickly but was quite tasty.